Life & Grief


So this is a different kind of post to any I’ve done before, in all aspects. 

Last month I lost my Dad. 

He was a rock in my life and when I got that horrible phone call that he’d suffered a cardiac arrest, my world was shook beyond repair. 

Two weeks of sitting by his bedside, hoping he’d wake up, we got told that the damage caused by lack of oxygen to his brain had left him with no hope of waking up. So on the 14th February, myself and the rest of the family that loved him, had to say goodbye.

 This was the most difficult thing I’ve ever had to go through and I still can’t believe he’s not here anymore.  

After a month of crying uncontrollably and not being able to think about much else, I am back at work and back to blogging. This is what my Dad would have wanted me to do. 

He loved the career that I’m chasing, I even helped him with his own website, and above all he loved my blogging. A fellow blogger himself, he would write about his novel writing and cycling, which he loved so much. He was the one who bought me my first professional camera for my blog, rather than struggling with my stupid iPhone. 

It’s so hard losing somebody that was such an intrinsic part of my life, but I have to look at the positives that have come from this. One for me and one for somebody else. 

For me, my Dad gave me the knowledge and years of advice needed to get me through the rest of my life. Everything that he’s taught me about life I will cherish forever. 

My Dad was an amazing man; he was intelligent, funny and also a registered Organ Donor. When he passed away, he may have left us all, but he gave somebody else the opportunity to live a full and happy life. How can I not feel immensely proud and happy for him for doing that?

I’ve now registered myself onto the list and if you haven’t but would like to, you can sign up here. I now understand first-hand how this positive gesture made me feel a little bit better about my Dad not being here anymore. 

It’s been a horrible month and it’s going to be a struggle for a long time, but I will make him proud beyond belief. I can only begin to thank the family and friends that have surrounded me throughout this time. I love you all so much.



28 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear this about your Dad. He sounds like a wonderful man though and I can hear that there's so much of him in you so I hope that can be of comfort to you. Well done for writing this x

    Claire | AgentSmyth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire. What a lovely thing to say xxx

      Delete
  2. I am so so sorry to hear this, I'm really pleased that you are getting back to blogging just like your Dad would have wanted you to. He will be watching over you and is so proud of you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's starting to make me feel better already. Thanks Alexandra xxx

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry about your loss. I can't even imagine what you have been going through. He sounds truly amazing and I know he will be so proud of everything you accomplish. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon. He really was, I hope he will be xx

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about your dad, it's really hard losing people in our lives. My mom passed away 6 months ago tomorrow, and all I can say is that it really does get better. Does the pain go away? No, but it's not as constant.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for your loss also. It's good to hear that it gets better. Hope you're ok xxx

      Delete
  5. My deepest sympathies on your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So so sorry to hear, sending you strength at this difficult time but your memories will forever live on! xxx

    Lauraslittleloves

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh god Beka I am so, so sorry to read this.
    Sending you all my love and strength.
    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie, it was really hard to write this but I'm so glad I did xx

      Delete
  8. so sorry to hear about your dad, its shows you have such strength to write this post I'm sure he would be proud of you. x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. It took me a few days to write this, I wanted it to say exactly what I felt xx

      Delete
  9. So sorry to hear, I know how you feel, last year I lost my mom. They may not be standing by our sides anymore but they are definatly looking down on us. Keep your head up pet, x www.katesperks.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear about your Mum, Kate. Yeah exactly, he can see everything I do now xxx

      Delete
  10. I'm so sorry to read this, lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry again Beka :( you're coping brilliantly, he would be so proud of you xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eve :) One day at a time at the moment. xxx

      Delete
  12. You are so so brave for writing this post Beka, your dad would have been very proud of you I bet :) he sounds like a lovely man! I've been a registered organ donor since I was about 12, I remember feeling like it was something I really needed to do.
    Bea x
    Bea's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bea. That's so good, I feel so good for doing it. I would want my family to feel the same if anything happened to me.

      xxxx

      Delete
  13. Hi Beka, such beautiful words in this post. I too lost my dad in 2009 and it was the worst thing I've ever been through so I know exactly how you feel. The best thing you can do is make the most of life and chase after your dreams, that's what he would have wanted you to do! and thats what I'm trying to do!
    I'm over at www.thefashion-six.blogspot.co.uk if you ever need a chat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, Thanks for your comment, sorry about your Dad. Exactly and I'm sure you're making your Dad very proud too :) xxx

      Delete
  14. I'm so sorry to read about your sudden loss. Loosing any member of the family is never easy - especially a parent. I lost my Mother to cancer in 2007 aged 54 and I miss her every single day. You may not think it now, but it does get easier, and your life will go on, but you never forget. Just remember those special times you shared and the little, funny and personal things he used to do. I hope this helps you.
    Rachel xx
    heartoceansecrets.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel, it really has helped. I'll never forget him xxx

      Delete